26 October, 2012

Letztalknow Mailbox and Cards Review

     A while back, I had this idea to start a mailbox with my kids.  Every few days, I would put a new activity suggestion or loving note or drawing from me to them.  I even made magnets to go on the mailbox, one for each child so that they would know when the mail inside was for just them.  I had every intention of keeping up with it.  But after a few weeks, I ran out of ideas (unless you count chores that needed doing) and it seemed like I always had something more pressing to do than to use my time finding ideas online.
     So when I saw Letztalk's kids mailbox system, I knew it was just the thing I needed.  It had all the pieces that I tried to make in my system.  It has the letters and cards with questions and it had activity suggestions.  It has magnets to decorate or you could use them as a system for letting the kids know who the mail is for.  It has a flag, which the one I tried to set up didn't.  I love the flag.
     What I love about this system is that the cards are sold in age groups.  There are cards for ages 5-8, ages 9-12 and for teens.  I received a set for both 5-8 year olds and 9-12 year olds since my oldest is just shy of 8.  She is a smart one too, so the 9-12 year old cards are a great fit for her.
     I love the content in the cards as well.  While some questions are simple and fun, some are thought provoking and some cards give challenges, like "Do something nice for someone".  There are also blank cards that you can write on (perhaps in dry-erase) and envelopes to place the letters in.
     There isn't one thing I don't love about this mail system.  In fact, the only suggestion I would have is to come out with more card sets for when we run out!  A big big thanks to Letztalk for the mail system.  This will be going on my dining table for sure (as soon as I get one) for dinner conversation and more.
     Here are just a few ways to use the cards as suggested by Letztalknow.com:
Let Their Thoughts be Known — Take the deck of 40 age-appropriate question cards and have each student or group member pick a card and keep it face down. One by one have each child/teen turn the card over and answer the question and let his/her thoughts be known.

Take the Challenge — Select the challenge cards from the combination deck. Choose a group of students to pick a card and read it aloud. The students are given 24 hours to take the challenge and report their accomplishments.

Getting to Know Them  — Ten question cards are selected at random. Each card is revealed one at a time. The child/teen answers the question based on his/her feelings. The adult writes down what they think the child/teen will answer.  After all ten questions have been answered, reveal your answers and begin getting to know them. 
     Do you have a system for keeping the lines of communication open with your kids?


Except for the product(s) given to me for the purpose of reviewing, I received no compensation for this post. All opinions are 100% my own.

0 comments:

 
Free Website TemplatesFreethemes4all.comFree CSS TemplatesFree Joomla TemplatesFree Blogger TemplatesFree Wordpress ThemesFree Wordpress Themes TemplatesFree CSS Templates dreamweaverSEO Design